These baked eggplant parmigiana stacks are a healthier alternative to the traditional fried version. Have one alone as a meal, or pair half a stack with some whole wheat pasta for an Italian feast!
Baked Eggplant Parmigiana Stacks
This baked version of eggplant parmigiana is just as tasty as the traditional fried version!
Write a review
1 hr 15 min
1 hr 15 min
- 2 Large Eggplants, sliced thin into 24 slices
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Egg Whites
- 1 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 Cup Seasoned Italian Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil in sprayer
- 16 Oz. Fresh Mozzarella, sliced thin into 18 slices
- 28 Oz. Can of Crushed Tomatoes with Basil
- 12 Oz. Can Tomato Paste
- Handful of Fresh Basil Leaves, Minced
- 2 Cloves Fresh Garlic, Minced
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Preheat convection oven to 350 degrees (traditional oven at 375).
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil with garlic and basil over medium heat until fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste to sauce pan, stir and cover. Leave on low-medium heat to simmer while prepping eggplant.
- Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper and spray each with olive oil.
- Crack eggs into wide bowl and whisk together with egg whites.
- In a separate wide bowl, mix together panko & italian breadcrumbs.
- Dredge each piece of eggplant in egg and then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Arrange in a single layer on baking sheets and spray to coat evenly with olive oil (about 1/2 Tsp per slice).
- Bake in oven for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- While eggplant is baking, keep an eye on the tomato sauce and turn off heat when it has thickened to desired consistency.
- When eggplant is done, remove from oven.
- Assemble eggplant stacks in a baking dish beginning with a layer of tomato sauce, then eggplant slice, cheese and more sauce. Each stack should have 4 slices of eggplant, 4 layers of sauce, and 3 pieces of cheese. This recipe will make 6 stacks.
- Place stacks in oven for approximately 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- If you don't have an olive oil sprayer, you can use a basting brush to spread the oil on the eggplant slices but use minimal amounts or they will become soggy.
Nutrition Facts per Eggplant Stack
- 526 Calories - 47g Carbohydrate - 16g Sugar - 26g Fat - 7g Fiber - 25g Protein
- THIS RECIPE IS GLUTEN FREE (Be sure to buy Gluten Free Breadcrumbs) & NUT FREE
Family Style Nutrition http://www.familystylenutrition.com/