There are SO many baby food choices in the supermarket these days. If you don’t have proper guidance from your pediatrician or nutritionist those shelves can be overwhelming and intimidating. My advice? Take advantage of the incredible number of baby food recipes available online, and make as much of your baby’s food as you can. But, when you just don’t have the time or energy choose prepared foods with simple, identifiable ingredients. (For information on how and when to introduce various foods to your baby, see advice from the American Academy of Pediatrics on Introducing Solid Foods ).
I am a big fan of Beechnut Naturals in a pinch. All of their foods contain pure, fresh ingredients with no preservatives. They also have creative, yummy combinations that I use as inspiration for my own recipes at home. One of my daughter’s favorites is the Sweet Potato, Orange & Pineapple. Sounds weird, but trust me it’s delicious! It tastes like a tropical smoothie. Here’s a recipe I created to make my own at home…
- 1/2 Large Sweet Potato
- 1/2 Cup Mandarin Orange wedges in water, drained
- 5 Oz. Fresh Pineapple Chunks
- Roast sweet potato until it begins to caramelize and becomes very soft. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Scoop inside of sweet potato out of skin into blender.
- Add mandarin wedges and pineapple.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Makes five 3 Ounce Servings.
- Estimated Nutrition Facts
- 60 Calories - 0g Fat - 14g Carbohydrate - 5g Sugar - 1g Protein - 2g Dietary Fiber
- This recipe is GLUTEN FREE, EGG FREE, & MILK FREE.